Our most advanced technology in a mid-range outboard. Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) automotive technology, Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST®), Multi-Port Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI®) and High Performance Gearcase maximize performance, and with Lean Burn Control®, it can run on a leaner mix of air and fuel, making it very efficient.
The BF90 does not come with a propeller. Please consult with your Honda Dealer for propeller application assistance.
Performance and Efficiency
- Four-Stroke Design: World-renowned Honda quality combines proven reliability and superior fuel efficiency, with no oil mixing.
- Lightweight: Weighing in at only 163 kg (359 lbs), the BF90 is one of the lightest in its class.
- VTEC®: Honda’s Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) system® provides power where and when you need it. VTEC® gives you a broader, flatter torque curve and smooth power delivery throughout the engine’s operating range. The result is a superior combination of power, torque and fuel economy. VTEC® is the modern replacement for displacement.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI®): Programmed Fuel Injection delivers the precise amount of fuel/air to each cylinder. The result is easy starts and instant throttle response with superior fuel efficiency.
- Lean Burn Control®: Lean Burn Control® increases fuel efficiency by allowing combustion to operate on a leaner air/fuel mixture. At cruising speed, this engine runs on up to 10% less fuel* than others in its class. (*Based on EPA Specific Fuel Consumption Mode.)
- BLAST® System: Boosted Low Speed Torque, or BLAST®, improves acceleration at low speeds. A quick movement of the throttle control activates the BLAST® system, advancing the ignition curve aggressively. "Hole Shot" is vastly improved as more horsepower gets the hull up on plane quicker.
- High Performance Gearcase: Designed to get you going faster, this gearcase reduces drag, greatly reduces hull porpoise and minimizes spray, thus increasing acceleration and top speed. A longer anti-ventilation plate helps trap water flowing to the propeller to minimize proposing, while a streamlined front and longer bullet reduce drag for enhanced acceleration and fuel efficiency; A front splash plate reduces spray from the hull bottom, maintaining a dry deck above; And a 2.33:1 gear ratio affords the use of 13- to 14-inch diameter propellers for heavier loads.
- Torsion Dampener: Sometimes called a flywheel, it is located near the base of the powerhead. This design lowers the center of gravity for improved handling.
- SOHC 4-Valve/Cyl. Design: The BF90’s powerful 1.5 L, 4-cylinder design utilizes a single overhead cam, and two intake valves to deliver maximum torque and power.
Reliability and Durability
- Legendary Honda Reliability: The technology we applied to our 90hp outboard engine is the very same that powers one of the most popular cars in the world, the Honda Fit.
- 3-way Cooling System: Three separate cooling systems keep the cylinder heads running cooler for long-term durability.
- Engine Alert System: The Engine Alert System uses visual, audio and RPM reduction circuits to alert the operator of over-heating, low oil PSI and over-revving, preventing engine damage.
- Corrosion Protection System: The Corrosion Protection System is a patented "Double Sealed" multi-layered paint process. Sacrificial anodes and stainless steel technology, along with waterproof connectors, all enhance corrosion protection.
- Top-Mounted Electronics: The alternators, ignition and other critical electrical components are mounted near the top of the powerhead to stay cool and dry. The result? Dependable performance.
- Sealed Starter: The starter motor is inverted into a sealed chamber that protects the starter drive from the elements.
- Positive Lubrication: A crankshaft-driven, automotive-style trochoid oil pump ensures long-term durability of critical engine components.
- Fresh Water Flushport: Flushes debris and saltwater out of the engine, extending the life of the outboard.
- Ultra Low 3-Star CARB Emissions: Environmentally conscious technology. All Honda Marine engines exceed the highest CARB 3-Star rating to meet the rigorous California Air Resource Board's standards.
- Warranty: As a testament to their quality and reliability, all Honda engines come with a three-year, non-declining, non-commercial warranty or a one-year commercial warranty.
Convenience and Ease of Use
- Superior Battery Charging: There's always plenty of electric power with Honda's exclusive neodymium magnet flywheel. The alternator develops 44 amps in total and 35 amps of charging amps, it's twice the output of some competitors. It provides high output and keeps battery banks charged all day, even when running multiple accessories.
- 3-Position Tiller Handle: The 3-Position Tiller Handle adjusts to your comfort for easiest hull manoeuvrability.
- Easy Maintenance: An easy "screw-type" valve adjuster system requires no shims, which reduces maintenance costs. Front-mounted oil filter and oil filler make for easy maintenance.
- Centre Mount Tiller (with optional Tiller kit): The ergonomically designed tiller handle is longer for improved handling. Adjustments for throttle and steering friction allow easier control. Up front shift lever, PTT switch, and engine alert lamps provide added convenience.
- Built-in Pitot Tube (optional built-in Pitot Tube kit required): Built-in pitot tube in the gear case eliminates the need to drill holes in your boat for installation.
- Type: 4-Stroke SOHC, VTEC; 4 Cylinder / 16 Valves
- Displacement: 1,496 cc / 91.4 cu.in.
- Bore & Stroke: 73 mm x 89.4 mm (2.87 x 3.52 in.)
- Full Throttle RPM Range: 5,300-6,300 rpm
- Propshaft Rated Horsepower (HP): 90 hp @ 5,800 rpm
- Cooling System: Water Cooled
- Fuel Delivery: Programmed Electronic Fuel injection (PGM-FI)
- Recommended Fuel: Unleaded Gas. (Min. Pump Octane 86)
- Ignition System: MicroComputer Programmed
- Starting System: Electric
- Exhaust: Through Prop Hub
- Lubrication: Wet Sump
- Recommended Oil: SAE 10W30 API service classification SJ or later
- Oil Capacity: 4.40 L (3.90 Imp. qt.) with oil filter repl.
- Trim Range: -4 deg. to +16 deg.
- Tilt Range: 68 deg.
- Steering Angle: 30 deg.
- Gear Ratio: 2.33:1
- Gear Shift: F-N-R
- Alternator (Electric Start): 44 amp
- Battery Charging Power: 35 amp
- Power Trim & Tilt: Standard
- Oil Pressure Alert: Standard
- Over Rev-Limiter: Standard
- Temperature Alert: Standard
- Water in Fuel Alert: Standard
- Battery Condition Alert: Standard
- Speedometer Pickup: Standard (Optional built-in Pitot tube kit required.)
- Overall Width: 449 mm / 17.7 in.
- Transom Height (L-Type): 508 mm / 20 in.
- LRTC-Type: 163 kg / 359 lb.
Honda outboard motors are power rated in accordance with NMMA procedures using the ICOMIA standard 28/23.
The steering angle can be set at 30° when two outboard motors are installed at an interval of 558 mm (ICOMIA standard recommendation). It can be set at 50°, too, depending on the installation interval. Do not set the steering angle at 50° on a high speed boat, as it can impair the steering stability. When the boat is equipped with a hydraulic steering type of the outboard motor, steering angle can be set at 30°. It cannot be set at 50°. However, note that the steering angle can be set at 50° by using a connecting plate, depending on the type of hydraulic steering.
Value does not include freight, pdi and applicable taxes.